Your Text resume is how recruiters find you when they search our database. Copy and paste your resume information into the Text field.
Please note that graphical bullets and tables will not copy well, so be sure to start with a plain version of your resume.
Example Text Resume:
Text files are documents without any type of formatting except returns and the occasional - or * used for bulleting purposes.
To convert your resume to a Text layout from Microsoft Word so it will fit attractively on this and every other job site, simply do the following:
- Open your resume in its current format. Immediately Save your new resume by going to File, Save As, and naming your file something like "My Resume Text Version.txt."
- Be certain that your name and contact information are not in the Header/Footer. Have it typed onto the page. Headers and footers do not transfer into text boxes and are therefore not visible.
- Remove all tables. Have the information typed onto the page. This can be done by Copying & Pasting the content onto the page prior to deleting the table.
Note: You may Copy & Paste by using the Edit function and your mouse, or it might be faster to use the keyboard shortcuts 'Ctrl + C' to Cut and 'Ctrl + V'. To Cut use 'Ctrl + X'. (Or on a Mac use 'Alt + C' to copy/paste, 'Alt + V' to paste and 'Alt + X' to cut).
- Remove all lines, columns, tabs and borders. They will be lost in the transfer, but removing them will help in formatting.
- Remove all bullets. When you transfer the information to the text box any special formatting will be lost automatically such as paragraph formatting, bolding, and italics. You do not need to remove these things manually, just be aware that it will happen. If you want something to stand out such as your job title, CAPITALIZATION is your best option.
- Save your Text document with the following margins: Left - 1" Right - 4" (the top and bottom margins don't matter). This will create 3" of text which will fit perfectly into the text field.
- Format all paragraphs and distinguish all otherwise bulleted items by creating hard breaks (pressing the enter/return key). If you would like to create a bullet, use either a - or * at the beginning of your line. Adding a space between each line will help the items standout. You have no space limitations so no worries.
- Format all spaces and columns using your space bar at the bottom of your keyboard creating an attractive layout.
- Remove page numbers and any repeats of your name and contact information.
- Save your new masterpiece.
- Copy & Paste the document into the Text box. Hot buttons are: 'Ctrl + A' to highlight ALL - 'Ctrl C' to copy - 'Ctrl + V' to paste.
- Review your Text box for format and appearance.
- Click on 'Save Resume' and voila! You're ready for the next step.
Please note that you may revise your resume at any time.
Once a Text version of your resume has been stored in our database, you'll be able to upload a more visually appealing Word document. A text version of your resume must be entered for this option to appear.
More Help Topics...
- Job Seeker Profile
Your profile contains information about your account with SeattleJobs.org. Once you have provided us a text version of your resume you can upload a MS Word version.
- Job Seeker Resume
Uploading resume information is easy. Once you have provided us a text version of your resume you can upload a MS Word version.
- Job Seeker Statistics
Each time your resume comes up in a search by one of our Network Members it is logged. This information is reported to you in daily or weekly emails so that you may gauge your resume's effectiveness. In your Job Seeker Profile you have the option of choosing how often you receive updates.
- Need More Help?
Need additional help with your Job Seeker tools? Send us an email and tell us about it.